Most of us think that we are know-it-alls when it comes to food but you may be surprised to know that we humans are the minority on this planet who have the capability of ignoring our fundamental survival instinct and we eat the most bizarre, potentially dangerous foods out there without even knowing it.
Whether store-bought or homegrown, potatoes should always be kept away from light. Glycoalkaloids, found in the leaves, stems, and sprouts of potatoes, can build up significantly in potatoes if its left in the light for too long. The greenish tinge is something you wanna look out for and make sure you throw the potatoes out when you see em. Consuming potatoes with a good amount of glycoalkaloids can lead to cramping, diarrhea, or even coma and death.
When we think rhubarb, pies and puddings come to mind. Underrated and easy to grow at home, this plant can be great. However, its leaves contain an oxalic acid, a corrosive acid found in metal cleaners, bleach, and anti-rust products. Eww! As a matter of fact, the British government during World War 1 used to suggest substituting rhubarb leaves as vegetables. We now know that wasn’t a brilliant idea! While the stems are edible and incredibly tasty, the leaves can cause convulsions, severe burning in the mouth, vomiting, kidney damage, coma, and death. Some researchers think that it is possible to die from these leaves before you reach a lethal level of oxalic acid. Either way, it’s best to be extra careful next time you eat something with rhubarb in it!
Do you still eat tuna because you think it’s good for you? Well you’re not alone as we thought so too until we found out that the latest scientific research shows otherwise. Tuna fish accumulate toxic mercury in their flesh as a result of industrial pollution, and the side effects of mercury poisoning include finger curling, cognitive impairment, and coordination problems. As a matter of fact, a California boy, who was the subject of a front-page Wall Street Journal article, went from being a star athlete and honor student to being unable to concentrate or catch a football because he ate way too much canned tuna. The danger in tuna is the mercury that the fish absorbs.
Once in your body, mercury will either pass through your kidneys, or travel to your brain and supposedly drive you insane. The FDA recommends children and pregnant women to not consume tuna at all. While it’s unlikely that eating a massive amount of tuna in one sitting is gonna kill you, it’s a good idea to monitor your weekly intake.
Better known to Americans as tapioca, cassava can have deadly consequences. If processed incorrectly, the cassava plant can produce cyanide, a deadly compound when consumed.
Cassava itself a hardy plant can remain in the ground for up to two years and needs relatively little water to survive. It’s the key source of carbohydrates for subsistence farmers in Africa. But an unprocessed cassava plant contains potentially toxic levels of a cyanogenic glucoside called linamarin.
To be on the safe side, cassava must be properly prepared before consumption. Improper preparation of cassava can leave enough residual cyanide to cause acute cyanide intoxication and may even cause partial paralysis.
Nutmeg has long been a painful, but potent favorite for anyone looking for a hallucinogenic experience. In fact, every year around Thanksgiving, there are at least a half-dozen “investigative reports” touting nutmeg as the next big drug scare. It still hasn’t caught on but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a little unsafe.
Nutmeg contains myristicin, which, in cases of potential “recreational” use of nutmeg, is what doctors test for in the blood. High levels of myristicin can lead to dizziness, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, headaches, and hallucinations. It is said that consuming just a fifth of an ounce of nutmeg can lea d to convulsions, and a third of an ounce can lead to seizures.
But what happens when you eat a whole nutmeg? Well, you’ll go insane and think that the world’s crashing down on you!
Known for their many beneficial properties, such as Lycopene, it would be absurd to consider tomatoes as a dangerous food, right? Well, not quite. While it’s true that tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant that has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease and macular degeneration, they also produce something called tomatine. Tomatine is a toxic alkaloid that can cause gastrointestinal problems, liver and even heart damage. It is highest in concentration in the leaves, stems and unripe fruit.
Cherries like many apricots, peaches and plums contain cyanogenic glycosides that create cyanide in the pits. Swallowing a pit or two is not going to have much effect as our bodies will deal with a certain amount of cyanide but it gets dangerous when you go over the limit.
3. Peanut Butter
Most of us know that peanut butter comes from peanuts but what about the fact that peanuts can easily become moldy after being stored in humid, warm silos?The mold known as Aspergillus can easily make aflatoxin, a very toxic substance that can create congestion in the liver and may potentially impede its important functions, including detoxification and fat-burning.
Apart from that, aflatoxin consumption has been shown to stunt growth in children and can cause liver cancer in laboratory animals. Believe it or not it is a factor in the numbers of liver cancer cases in Africa where peanuts are a dietary staple.
Yes, Rice and we kid you not. Rice contains arsenic, a toxin that can cause bad things like vomiting, abdominal pain, and vertigo when consumed in huge quantities. Brown rice was typically found to have higher arsenic levels than white rice, and people who eat rice were determined to have arsenic levels that were about 45 percent higher compared to people who do not eat rice. There’s no doubt that consistent exposure to even low doses of arsenic over time can lead to heart disease and bladder cancer.
We already know that high concentrations of arsenic in drinking water result in the highest known toxic substance that can cause cancer bigly, so why risk it?
1. Red kidney beans
Red kidney beans contain the toxin known as Kidney Bean Lectin and must be boiled for at least 10 minutes before consumption. And here’s the thing, if the beans are cooked at temperatures below boiling, the beans’ toxicity is multiplied.
As few as four uncooked beans could cause extreme nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Many cases related to kidney poisoning were due to slow cookers that did not reach a high enough temperature to destroy the lectin. When rats were given a diet with only 1 percent of raw kidney beans, they died in just two weeks! So, if you’re making kidney beans for dinner the next time, make sure you put them through a rigorous heating process.
If you wanna just watch a video on this, visit the YouTube link below where we’ll list you the 10 everyday foods you didn’t know could actually kill you.